Housing and Benefits Application Assistance Services - Center for Independence, Western Slope
245 S CASCADE AVE
Data Provided By
Western Colorado 2-1-1 - WC 211
Description of Service
Provides housing location assistance, nursing home transition, case management, benefit advocacy and application assistance.
- Assist the consumer in finding possible housing leads.
- Assist the consumer in completing paperwork or applications if needed due to the consumer's disability.
- Advocate on behalf of the consumer in an effort to resolve landlord/tenant issues. Assist the consumer in understanding their rights/responsibilities as a tenant.
- Assist a consumer in finding possible housing options when being discharged from a hospital.
- Assist consumers in finding possible housing options and supports when an individual wishes to move from a nursing home back to the community.
- Work with a consumer to help prevent the possibility of a nursing home placement.
- Assist a consumer in finding possible funding for durable medical or other equipment which would help them to remain independent in their chosen housing environment.
- Assisting the consumer in finding vendors who can do home modifications.
- Answer questions about the ADA, Fair Housing, Service Animals, Therapy Animals and Companion Animals.
Assistance with applying for any Federal or State Benefit program
- Social Security (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Medicare, Medicaid, Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
- Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF/Colorado Works)
- Food Stamps (SNAP), Section 8 Housing Vouchers, Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
Delta, Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Lake, Mesa, Montrose, Ouray, Pitkin, San Miguel counties
Call for more information or to schedule an appointment
Must provide: - Completed referral form (available on the website) - Medical records that support the claim of disability - Photo ID
PLEASE NOTE: We are not an emergency services organization. We do not have housing of our own nor do we have funds for rent, security deposits or other emergency situations. We are not a legal agency and cannot give legal advice.
Individuals living with a disability
Fees or Charges
Types of Fees
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, ; Fridays, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (administration hours)